Single six hammer(bisley)

Help Support Ruger Forum:

millwrightdude

Single-Sixer
Im wanting a lower spur hammer for my 1973 single six(63-25***). Will this be a drop in part or will I need other parts to make it work?

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/831504/ruger-hammer-assembly-ruger-single-six-bisley-all-models

Hondo44

Hawkeye
It's a drop in from a function standpoint, no other parts are needed but the hump on the back will need to be ground down to fit the slot in your grip frame. Just use your original hammer as a patern.

Mine has part of the flare on the hammer spur removed as well to look more like a Super Blackhawk hammer.
orig.jpg

G2

Hunter
I leave a little of the hump to flaten things out .... just right.

P1010010-6.jpg

P1010014-4.jpg

G2

Hunter
millwrightdude said:
So how hard is it to remove the hump?

This is a loaded question, ,,, :roll: We have no idea of your abilities.

To me it's no big deal about 45 minutes to get it "just right"

I bulk it off with a 4"x 1/16th cut of wheel, get it sort of close, and then finish it up with a sharp triangle file, then to 100,180,220,400 wet/dry.

Hondo44

Hawkeye
I use a course belt in a belt sander to 'hog' off the bulk of it,
then smooth it up with a fine belt,
then further square up, even out and flatten with 320, 600 and 1000 wet or dry wrapped around a small aluminum sanding block, and also 'break' the sharp edges,
then polish using a soft cotton buff in a dremel tool with stainless steel white rouge.

Then re-blue the back surface if it's a blued hammer with Brownell's OxPho blue.

You'll notice on my single six above I break the square edge of the hammer top somewhat as well, on almost all my Ruger SAs.

G2

Hunter
millwrightdude said:
How much lower is the bisley hammer than the original one
Here is a pair a Vaqueros, one done and one not.... yet :wink:

Not only lower but wider too.

P1010001-10.jpg

P1010001-11.jpg

Take your time, enjoy the journey, and what the,,,,,
you only screw up a $35 part.

**Not my Picture but a good one at that.**
hammers.jpg

Hondo44

Hawkeye
millwrightdude said:
I guess I need to order one and give it a try. How much lower is the bisley hammer than the original one

Look at G2's photo of the three hammers. Top is an unmodified Bisley hammer, in the middle is a bisley after the hump is modified. Compare the heights to the closest hole in the hammer bases and you can see a good 1/8"+ has been removed.

EDK

Single-Sixer
millwrightdude said:
Now I need to find a birdshead grip frame to start the build.

Get a SUPER BLACK HAWK hammer...it would be a drop-in fit, but a terrible trigger pull IN MOST CASES. The SBH hammer is sometimes hard to find, but BISLEY hammers are scarce also.

IF you want a birdshead grip frame, start checking various forums and internet auction sites on a DAILY basis. IF it has a reasonable BUY NOW, don't be shy about hitting the button and opening up your wallet.