My favorite knife sharpeners

Help Support Ruger Forum:

20221106_080925.jpg

Danny

Single-Sixer
No, long ago I used arkansas and Wichita stones all the time. Those stones would wallow out over time and no longer be flat. I like the newer ones much better. They stay flat and cut much better.
What is the difference between new and old Arkansas stones?

Danny

contender

Ruger Guru
"Wicked Edge" is having a "black friday sale" currently. It might be worth it to look into that if looking for a serious sharpening system.

No Arkansas stones???

Danny
My Dad spent his working life in a meat packing company. The man knew a thing or two about sharpening knives. I always do it by hand with an Arkansas stone. After many years, the stones may develop a "wallow", but they are not hard to find, nor are they very expensive. It takes a bit to get good at it by hand, but most knife sharpening systems are MUCH more expensive and unless you know how to use them, often somewhat useless. The other thing that makes a big difference in keeping a knife sharp is a good steel.

mogwai

Nortwuds
Work sharp makes a system similar to the Lansky that I have used to good effect. They also have a couple "field" models that have multiple diamond plates and an angle guide

I keep a Smiths carbide/ ceramic on the nightstand. Usually a few swipes on the ceramic keeps things tuned up. I have a whole arsenal of wheels, stones and strops but usually only use those when sharpening a plane or restoring an edge to something long blunted. I'll be getting into them when I reblade a few of my Pap Pap's old knives. I'll have to cut them down and reshape them before sharpening.

Attachments

• IMG_20221217_115651225.jpg
    IMG_20221217_115651225.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 54
Oh I have a lot of sharpening stones and devices. But I have only one favorite, and I use it for 95% of my sharpening chores.

Don't know what it is, or where I got it. Kind've looks like an Arkansas Translucent.

And how could I have left out the working companion of that marvelous stone...

What stories could this tell?

Last edited:
Oh I have a lot of sharpening stones and devices. But I have only one favorite, and I use it for 95% of my sharpening chores.

Don't know what it is, or where I got it. Kind've looks like an Arkansas Translucent.

And how could I have left out the working companion of that marvelous stone...

What stories could this tell?
The strap is one of my husband's favorite things to use, but unless in a hurry he does the cut throat straight shave with all the prep steps in.

I have never used a straight razor other than the barber shaving my neck. My nephew gets his head shaved and says he loves it.
When my husband turned 14 his GrandDad taught him to straight shave and later on when the as his GrandFather got older he gave my husband his entire kit: Razor, mug, brush that all date from the 1920s or so. So it is a prized heirloom.