New shoulder rig for my 1911- Update

Help Support Ruger Forum:

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Been waiting on this since late Feb. and it finally arrived this morning. First shoulder rig I've ever bought. As with other holsters I have from Diamond D, this one will take some breaking in. I don't mind that, I'd rather it be tight when new than loose and sloppy. :)

shoulder rig.jpg

shoulder rig hanging.jpg

Last edited:

DGW1949

Hunter
Looks good, and I like that it's all leather....kinda makes me want one like it for myself. I've used shoulder rigs before, but never one that carry's the gun horizontal. If you don't mind, let us know how that works out for you after you've used it awhile....Thanks.

DGW

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Looks good, and I like that it's all leather....kinda makes me want one like it for myself. I've used shoulder rigs before, but never one that carry's the gun horizontal. If you don't mind, let us know how that works out for you after you've used it awhile....Thanks.

DGW

I probably won't wear it much until winter. T-shirt time of year here now. But I'll let y'all know. I have tried it on and made some preliminary adjustments today. For what it cost me I better like it - A LOT! ;)

I ordered a Diamond D chest rig. My N frame .41 mag has a 6 inch barrel. Wanting a over clothing holster when out on the ATV or even driving a vehicle, but a hip holster would be impractical with the large revolver. In my case I ruled out leather due to gun/holster being exposed to whatever conditions I travel in. It says it can also be adjusted to a vertical shoulder carry. The model is called "The Denali". Looking over all possible choices for my needs the Diamond D fit the best. I kind of hate buying without trying, but that's the way it worked out. I will wear it awhile before posting my opinions.
That shoulder rig looks great with the 1911 in it, quality, fit and finish.

I've done multiple Denali chest rigs. In each case, I bought them while waiting for the equivalent Diamond D rig to arrive in the mail. In my experience and opinion, the Denali is a mediocre substitute.

I found the shoulder web is so stiff on a couple of them, it would not settle down and ride on my shoulder. The holstered gun was supported only by the 360-degree chest strap, with a big, baggy strap over my shoulder, but not in contact with my shoulder.

But in fairness, the shoulder web may have eventually settled down. I'm 71. I don't have time to wait.:cool:

I remain a fan of the Diamond D chest holsters.

I gotta say too, my very first Diamond D product was sent to me by them, free gratis, to try out, as somehow @Bear Paw Jack had connections. :)

Last edited:

Coyote56

Single-Sixer
A proper shoulder rig has been my long time favorite mode of carry, especially during the colder months. Hands down best is (in my opinion) the Andrews Monarch rig, shown here with a SIG P220 and BHP.
Honorable mention goes to Ritchie Leathers rig (here with a Glock 30s) and Mitch Rosen Express (with a Glock 26). Of the lot, the Rosen is indeed the best value.
IMG_8368.jpeg
IMG_0546.jpeg
IMG_0909.jpeg
IMG_2146.jpeg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
A proper shoulder rig has been my long time favorite mode of carry, especially during the colder months. Hands down best is (in my opinion) the Andrews Monarch rig, shown here with a SIG P220 and BHP.
Honorable mention goes to Ritchie Leathers rig (here with a Glock 30s) and Mitch Rosen Express (with a Glock 26). Of the lot, the Rosen is indeed the best value.View attachment 45363View attachment 45364View attachment 45365View attachment 45366

Nice rigs! I'm curious how you have that blade attached in the second pic.

OLDGUY79

Bearcat
Been waiting on this since late Feb. and it finally arrived this morning. First shoulder rig I've ever bought. As with other holsters I have from Diamond D, this one will take some breaking in. I don't mind that, I'd rather it be tight when new than loose and sloppy. :)

View attachment 45201

View attachment 45202
I, too, bought a shoulder rig for my full sized 1911. The one I got is from CRAFT holsters and is a rotating style.
So far, I like it. We sure know our 1911 is hanging there!! Enjoy it.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Update on the rig. I've been wearing around the house and property for 3-4 hours nearly every day for the past week, and it's settling in pretty good. Had to make a couple more small adjustments, but all is good now I think. I like the belt straps - helps keep my trouser up if I'm also carrying my back up 1911. As has been said; "1 is none, and 2 is one."
:D

sholder rig pose 1.jpg

sholder rig pose 2.jpg

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Great looking rig. Are you using full sized 1911 with 5" barrel? Wondering if it prints to the rear?

It is a full size. Looking in a mirror from various angles wearing my leather jacket it doesn't print that I could tell, but I suppose it might under certain conditions. Don't really care if it does or not around here. Nothing to worry about in MS anyway. :)

nekvermont

Buckeye
Gunny, I'm curious if that rig will make your back ache / hurt after a while. I've been having back problems and thinking it may be the weight of gun, spare mag pouch and pants on my shoulders.

GunnyGene

Hawkeye
Hell Gunny, I'm only 60 but ~10 of those years I played football, and 14 more are Army years! 😉

I got my first stents about 3 years ago, and will likely need a couple more in the next few years. Something to keep an eye on as you age. Anyway, I'm still able to take care of myself and the property, hopefully for at least 10 more years.

Looking like a nice day today so I'll probably exercise that 1911 some more, and maybe mow another acre that needs cutting.

Latest posts