9mm Super GP100

Help Support Ruger Forum:

CarNDrvr

Bearcat
I'm curious who all saw this. Have these really gotten to this point now?

IMG_6507.jpeg

contender

Ruger Guru
It may look ridiculous to some,, but it was built as a competition shooter piece.

The cylinder frame window is the same size as a normal GP. Yet,, they reduced the cylinder length to only accept 9mm ammo. (Part of this is to prevent the type of person who wants to "build a custom" and do things the gun wasn't built for.) Plus,, it allows a longer barrel, yet the barrel appears shorter. Then, using technology from decades ago,, they used a barrel that goes through the frame to the cylinder, and is just a threaded tube, instead of a one piece barrel. This allows for better control of the cylinder gap AND,, you don't have the issues of over torquing, which can create "thread choke". And by using a 2-piece barrel system, the shroud is easily added to where the sights can be aligned easily.
(Anybody remember the Dan Wesson interchangeable barreled guns? Those things won a lot of competitions with that system. They are very accurate,, I know, I have a couple. )

The cuts in the barrel shroud,, allow for the gun to be lighter in weight,, which a competitor prefers for faster movement. The same thing with the cuts in the cylinder,, weight reduction.

This gun was designed by people who actually use & compete with a revolver where speed & function are the keys to winning. And part of it was done because loyal Ruger fans who are also competitors wanted a Ruger to go against S&W! A LOT of very serious thought went into it to build a serious competition gun.

How do I know this?

I spoke with a few folks at Ruger about it when it was introduced.

I wanted one after seeing it in person at SHOT,, and discussing it's features. It took a bit for me to get one,, (Thanks Kevin,) and mine is used in USPSA competition. I get a lot of very positive comments on it at matches. And I get offers to sell. NOT gonna happen.

Is it different looking? Yes.
Is it competitive? Yes.
Is it for everybody? No.
Does it look traditional? No.

While some may think it's ugly or weird looking or whatever,, they have that right. I will not give them grief for their opinion. But if you actually try & shoot a competition where speed & accuracy are the keys to good scores,, and you want a gun that was built with that in mind,, this one fits the bill.

Many people pay custom gunsmiths to build a custom gun of their personal liking. They chop barrels, the replace barrels with different shapes, (octagon,) or even from another maker. They grind & cut on frames. The drill hammers & put in ports. They add engraving, or other metal altering additions. They get what they want. And I've seen my share of guns that were classics or desirable in "as shipped" from the factory,, totally customized to where any collector value is gone. And I've seen some guns IN MY OPINION,, were ugly looking.
To each his own.

All I'm adding here is to look at WHY this gun is so different. It was built for a specific reason. Competition. Function is the design criteria.

I treasure mine.
I'm totally grateful for Kevin in allowing me to get it from him. And I'd never sell it. Not even if offered $25,000.00 for it. (I was offered $2500.00 for it,, and I told the guy; "Not even for 10 times that amount.")

RC44Mag

Buckeye
Understood and I'm sure it's a wonderful shooter in the right hands, I was just commenting on the aesthetics but realize why it looks as it does. No offense intended.

contender

Ruger Guru
As I've said,, everybody has different tastes & likes or dislikes. But when you see it perform,, it really looks good! (And it helps make me look good too!) :D

Maybe there's something wrong up in my cranium (remember I've doctored and dressed up groundhogs ;) ) but I actually think it's a cool looking gun and if I could find one at a reasonable price I'd probably buy it. ($6000+ IS NOT a reasonable price)

CarNDrvr

Bearcat
To each their own. I LOVE it. So much so that I own both the 9mm and .357 mag versions. The looks remind me of the Korth revolvers which are 2nd to none. I'm thrilled to know the value skyrocketed.

Rclark

Hunter
Yikes, crazy price. And it is not even a Single Action! ;) . I don't like it's look either on top of being a double action, but if it functions well for the 'intended' use then it may be worth it to someone :) . I wouldn't have a use for it as it is also using a an auto cartridge 9mm, instead of a perfect revolver rimmed cartridge as it should use IMHO.... To each is own though :) .

Last edited:

DGW1949

Hunter
To Contender's point........If you owned the gun, and if you was using it for what it was intended to be used for, it wouldn't matter how ugly it is...because if you using it as intended, the only part of the gun you'd be looking at would be the front sight anyway.

Just sayin'.

DGW

Neezer

Bearcat
I just have a feeling they will eventually print some more of these like the did the super gp 357. If that happens, the price would be more reasonable. I am willing to wait

chet15

Hawkeye
There were only 200 of that in 9mm made.
$6K+ sounds extreme, but hey... if you want it bad enough....
Chet15

CarNDrvr

Bearcat
Personally I think it's because only 200 were made. That's rare. Can't say that about a Korth or most other guns. Plus it's not just some already in production model with different grips or something. There's literally nothing else like it. The 357 is the only thing similar and it's not the same either. The 9mm isn't listed on their site anymore. The 357 is. And you can't get the 357 factory polished silver.

contender

Ruger Guru
I used mine again in our USPSA match here. On one stage,, a proposed potentially new "classifier" stage,, that was particularly revolver friendly,, out of 29 shooters,, I placed 15th overall. And that's against a lot of different bottom feeding shell shuckers.

But due to MY mistakes,, overall at the end of the day my finishing place was lower. I had one really bad stage,, and a couple of other bobbles on my part. Plus,, due to only being an 8-shot,, going against guns with 21+ rounds,, my times always suffer due to the time it takes to reload.

But when placed in a more level playing field where the shell shuckers have to reload as much and move the same as I do,, that Super GP & I have a fun time.

One guy asked about why I used a revolver,, and my reply was; "I shoot a REAL gun!" :D